February 2, 2010

• an experiment in reusables • 

A while ago, I had a cold. A snotty, snuffly cold. And as much as that stinks, it got me thinking. One afternoon, while at a friend's house where I went through about half a box of their Kleenex and the dirties piled up next to me, I realized that I should carry some reusable facial tissues. Handkerchiefs, if you will. I could even make them some myself! I figured they should be made of something really soft. Like bamboo, or maybe silk. And they should be in a box. That has a section for the dirty ones to go in.

When I got home, I did a Google search and found that my idea wasn't so unique. Awesome - that's totally what I was picturing. Hey, re•diaper is even a retailer for their products! But...I was picturing it at a lower price tag.

Later that week, I found a crate of handkerchiefs at local store, so I picked them up, eager to wash and use them. I hope it's true that they soften with time, but I'm not sure that I have that kind of patience. Summary: ouch. So, I'm on the hunt again, but this time I think I'm going to try to make my own. How convenient is it that our shop is located in the middle of the best selection of fabric shops in southern Ontario? (And perhaps the whole of Canada?) I should be able to find what I'm looking for...keep an eye on this blog and our Facebook Fan Page to watch our journey!

And we want to hear from you - what single use products have you replaced with reusables?







www.rediaper.ca

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I use the wipes I made for diapering as a reusable tissue. It's single sided 100% cotton flanellette (8x8" squares, rounded edges, just zigzag stitch around them). Look for remnants at Fabricland. I'm making more right now out of receiving blankets that I no longer use. This time I'm making them doublesided. I use an empty wipes container and fold them so that they interlock and when you pull one out, the next one comes up behind it. Then I have a bag close to the basement stairs that I put used ones in. Whenever I do laundry, I just throw them in with it.

Post a Comment